Saturday, April 11, 2009

Excavate National Treasure Show Chinese Culture

If you've been reading along with The Mahoney Family Blog (and if you haven't you've missed out -- it's the only way I travel anymore) you'll know that they've just come back from a tour of Australia and Hong Kong. SA Mahoney always gets me the best travel gifts. She sent me the Checkpoint Charlie chocolate (which melted last summer) and the Robert Kubica F1 shirt (which was destroyed by our dryer ... that last house was hard, hard on my valuables), but this year the travel gift beats all:



The box description is as follows:
Culture Revolution Engraving - The serious of HCG poker
Culture Revolution Engraving affects by special stage. The brand for epoch is obvious. The engraving as the topic of Chairman "Red Classical" which has great value of collections is called "Alive Curio". The poke is chosen 54 pieces of the engravings of Chinaman Mao. (no, I swear, it really says that) It shows historical cultural quintessence. For the people who experienced that period, the engraving Red Classical will be recalled their memory about those days.

Even better is the story of how they were purchased:
I bought those cards at the night market in Hong Kong. Dude, it was like this totally wacky flea market in a dicey part of town, but they had the best stuff! The best part of the whole experience was having to walk through 20 tables full of vibrators to get to the public toilets…because when you travel with a bunch of kids they have to go to the bathroom A LOT!

I loves my friends.

1 comment:

dwilton said...

I want those!