Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Don't read the news, YOU'LL KILL YOURSELF!

Our student newspaper is on strike because the university used the economy as an excuse to be unethical (we're running out of revenue ... I know, let's hire some guy at an outrageous salary and put him in charge of the student paper. So what he's not a student. We'll make him journalism school faculty that way the team will be afraid to print bad things about the college).

In a New York Times story about the Amazon Kindle thing Steve Jobs is quoted as saying "the whole concept is flawed at the top because people don't read anymore." I have many objections myself to Kindle, but Steve's take on it wasn't one of them ... until now.

In the Business Day cover story in the same paper is an article about how cable companies are going to start using target advertising without telling you first (except for that wee line item in the Privacy Policy that comes in your monthly statement and that no one reads because the print is written by ants blocking out the letters with inkblot shoes).

Dogs and cats living together, it's mass hysteria. I want a new world.

4 comments:

reverend dick said...

Hey! I read. Am I not a person anymore?

Dammit.

reverend dick said...

And, plus lately I have been thinking about how "the news" attempts to focus your attention, like the targeted ads.

Witness the lack of coverage of Lance pushing that doper guy into the snowbank at the Tour of California. That isn't newsworthy? There was and ashload of other coverage on Lance and the drugs, all of it making him out to be clean as baby Jesus and future contender for prezident.

I hope the new world won't make me sick, won't keep me up all night and make me sleep all day.

li'l hateful said...

In the new world we'll all be doping up like Elvis so who will notice?

li'l hateful said...

Hmm ... Lance as the baby Jesus and Elvis as God ....... that's one for thought.