Monday, March 02, 2009

One size does not fit all

When I was a kid I was heavy into the vintage look. It was the style at the time. In fact, I want to go on record that Natalie Merchant stole the look from me when she was in 10,000 Maniacs. I know, she was on the other side of the country and we never met and our circles didn't exactly overlap, but STILL ... I was totally wearing beltless 40's shifts before she was.

I would haunt a regular round of vintage shops in California looking for the next great party dress (something I could get drunk in an tear a hole through usually), but most of the dresses I tried on were HUGE. They had these giant busty tops and shoulders and waists that needed bunching or scarfing around for a tuck.

I wasn't slim, mind you. I think I've always hovered around the 120 mark ... which is now around the 140... ANYWAY ... I wasn't waify by any stretch and these things were like tents.

Now that I'm shopping for the next great graduation dress everything I'm finding is too f...king small. Who the hell has a 38" bust with a 28" waist? I'm not a giant, but gar ... there's no way, even with a nipper. Oh, but here's one with the 36" bust AND 26" waist. Where was this stuff when I was 22?

Screw it. I'm going to JCrew.

No comments: