Monday, July 31, 2006

Near-Greatness

At work this morning there was an email sent from someone who ordered a planner for 2007 and received one for 2006. The order was apparently placed in March, but she only just checked it now and wanted us to "send the right one out immediately" because she was "distressed and irritated"about the situation.

She had sent the email to the wrong company and the spelling was a little hit and miss, but I didn't care because it was signed Marni Nixon.

I started 3 replies alternately praising ("You should have received billing for the singing on 'My Fair Lady'") and condemning ("How do you sleep at night knowing how much Natalie Wood trained for 'West Side Story' only to have you come in like Kathy Selden on the sly and dub her?") until finally I just sent the robot response ("Unfortunately I do not show that you have ordered with -company name here-. You may have ordered it from the manufacturer directly. They can be reached at...").

It's as close as I've come with celebrity since Clive Cussler ordered a customized name plate.

Some of you may care.

1 comment:

Lesli Larson said...

Oh my god I LOVE MARNI NIXON!!! I figured that I was the only one who had even pronounced her name aloud in the last half year. I've been listening to *Marni Nixson Sings Kern* all summer (just dup'd a copy for my old English teacher who also loves her). Even a twice removed autograph from you--who emailed her--would be a delight.