Saturday, January 28, 2006

Do it. Do it.

Okay, sure, I'm a movie snob. It happens. Last night I really wanted to see "King Kong" because it was a "King Kong" kind of night -- school was done, I didn't have any homework (at least not like I'd had the past few weeks), I wasn't going to work again until Sunday -- and I was in the mood to shell out the big bucks for the big picture. Instead I let the cousin/housemate talk me into going to the sticky-foot and paying $1.50 for "The Constant Gardener".

Go see it. And then see it again -- you can even rent it now, but if you have a sticky-foot in your area it's not only cheaper to see it on the big sticky-foot screen, but it's probably a lot better. There aren't special effects or anything, but I think the big screen is more likely to suck you than a rental would. The rental follow-up is really just to catch all the things you missed the first time around. Feckin' John le Carre, man ... he's fantastic. But, even more than the amazing story, is watching Ralph Fiennes. I like Rafe -- sure, he's got a gut in "Schindler's List," but then he can be pastel-pretty, like in "Quiz Show" and then go and lose his nose in "Harry Potter" -- but this movie proves how truly astounding he is. His first big moment, where you're stuck just looking at him, is one of the most amazing bits of acting I've ever seen, and he doesn't really do anything ... it's hard to explain. Just see it.

Do it. Do it now.

1 comment:

li'l hateful said...

No worries. The more the merrier. It's the bots that I don't like ... bad, bad bots.