Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Booooooooooooo .... kinda

Having just gushed on and on about "The Constant Gardener" I'm a little irritated to see that the Academy didn't listen. Oh sure, Rachel Weisz gets a click -- for Supporting ... what the? How is that a supporting role? Or did they think she didn't stand a chance against Reese Witherspoon in the Actress category? -- but nothing for my boy, Ralph.

Not that I'm not pulling for "Brokeback Mountain" and all, because it looks really good and anything the teens snigger at during the preview is already a notch toward great, but I was hoping for more thrown the way of the Gardener.

And what's with "Crash" up there for Best Picture? I'd heard t'ings about it being really simple-minded to the point of insulting with the way they throw around stereotypes ... or am I thinking of the Cronenberg movie? That movie is effed-up. No one can make a picture of a book quite like Cronenberg, God love 'im. Those giant talking penises in "Naked Lunch" ... just crazy. Wouldn't it be great if Cronenberg wrote a screenplay for Brian De Palma? It could be my dream film with Kevin Costner and Julia Ormand and Charlton Heston. It can even be called "Crash" just to keep it in the film-family.

Don't even get me started on Keira Knightley.

No comments: