Tuesday, December 13, 2005

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I'd like to take a moment for a brief, yet in-depth study of my favorite phrase:
You people

I hear this a lot during the holidays, usually in conjunction with some bit of illogical nonsense: "You people promised I'd have my package today." "You people broke it before you shipped it." And on and on ... It's as though "you people" gives some indefinite weight to their argument: If I can blame it on someone - anyone - then my gripe is legitimate. But, since they don't know really who it is that's responsible, it falls back on a general condemnation of the entire business. "I don't want to say 'you' because I know that 'you' didn't actually make the error, but I know it was one of 'you people.'" This way they're nearly close to being right, or right enough to garner sympathy. They're the victims of you people.

Doesn't that make you feel bad-bad?

Honestly, the ones that get in first may get some sympathy from me, but call at the end of the day and it's no good. By then I'm spent. You people really take it out of me.

That is all.

No comments: