Monday, November 21, 2005

Pound for Pound

Let's get ready to RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLE!

Tonight's undercard ...

On my left, in the black with a spot of green and red corner, Steven and Wendy.

On my right, in the green and blue corner, the cousin and L'il Hateful:


Let's go to the classy Jimmy Lennon Jr. for tonight's MAIN EVENT...

(that's Jimmy in the black suit holding the cards ... not the Bruce Campbell-looking character in the corner who's doing the crazy Kennedy finger pointing)

Ladies and Gentlemen! Tonight we bring you twelve (or thereabouts) rounds of boxing. On my right, in the blue corner, wearing his trucks in shreaded pleats of blue and white and resembling a cheerleader from Fountain Valley High School (go barons):
Sharmba
"Little Big Man (who sometimes dresses like a woman)"
MITCHELL!

And on my left, in the ... other corner, wearing suede, I think, because we're a little too far away and the cousin has the binoculars, weighing in at 147 lbs
(47 lbs = man; 100 lbs = ego):
"Pretty Boy"
Floyd

"I Beat My Wife and Get Away With it"
MAYWEATHER.

That's Sharmba in the back, so you don't get a really good sense of how fashionable the trunks are. He's a lovely little boxer, Sharmba, but, as the cousin said (again and again and again) it was "like a baby petting a cobra." (noted: the cousin was the only one pulling for Mayweather ... the easy money, but, morally, not very solid.) Floyd took my boy in the 6th with a hard pop to the ribcage. It was a sound hit, and, even if the ref had let Sharmba up, he would have gone down sooner or later. Honestly. It's my personal opinion that if Little Big Man had worn standard trunks he might have lasted longer. The cheerleader outfit clearly reminded Pretty Boy of his young, married days.
I hope Zab Judah beats the bejesus out of him.

All-in-all, what with the parade of man-furs, watching Jim Lampley spit over the railing into the seats of the Rose Garden, and seeing James Toney (but getting a really bad photo of him) it was a great experience. Dammit I didn't wear my faux fur.

If you're in Portland, by the way, eat at The Roxy. These were the best gravy fries I've ever had.

Actually, everything we ate there was good. Personally, I highly recommend the grilled cheese and tomato, and the coffee was fantastic. Super affordable too.

Oh yeah ... and spent too much at Powell's again, but picked up a fantastic published dissertation called "George Meredith as Champion of Women and of Progressive Education" (originally two shillings and sixpence ... net ... or so says the cover). Had to put back the numbered copy of an unknown Stevenson story ... ... I know! I know! I'm off to cry ... again.

No comments: