Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Oh. Who's being naive, Kay?

I've decided that from now on I'm going to speak only in movie quotes. Not that I don't already, but it's not in every conversation and I think I've built up enough of a memory-library that I have one for any occasion.

Why, just recently I was using Don Corleone's "You can act like a MAN!" when speaking of a co-worker. It was quickly followed up by "You're just not a war-time consigliore, Tom." That can work for a whole mess of conversations, really, provided you change out the "Tom" to suit your immediate needs ... unless you're using it for someone named Tom. Same goes for "Paulie" (or insert name here) "you won't see him no more."

The cousin/roommate is fond of the "Yeah. I used to be a salesman. It's a tough racket" (swig) from Glengarry Glen Ross. I've tried that one at work ("Yeah. I used to work internet retail...") but no one got it.

Which brings me to the biggest downfall of this plan. If no one gets it then I'll have to stop and explain (as I frequently do) and I can't think of a single movie line that will explain the use of movie lines.

Which made me think of Diner ("Do you ever get the feeling there's something going on that we don't know about?" "Do you get the feeling she gave me a fake name?") and the kid that went around quoting from Sweet Smell of Success all the time ...

Which made me realize that the plan was pretty stupid.

And it's even worse to blog it. Like this is some milestone.

I blame the allergy medication and the booze. ("Neely, you know it's bad to take liquor with those pills.")

No comments: