Wednesday, May 04, 2005

"Give Me Some Money, Honey"

My grandmother used to say the above line to my grandfather when she was taking us shopping at Zody's or Two Guys, but she would say it with her top lip pulled down as though she had no teeth. It's hard to describe, but it was pretty funny at the time and is highly addictive: I find it difficult to say the word "money" without following up with the appropriate "honey".

This week we found out that her living will is closing and the grandkids are all getting a check in the mail. Now, I'm the first to tell you that death is one of those unavoidable things and grieving is kind of pointless. Yes, it's sad when someone leaves this life and you miss their company and all that, but it's not as though we're all hanging around indefinitely. You may get through life without having kids or owning a Corvette, but you're going to definitely die. That said, it still took me awhile to come to grips with the idea of planning for death -- which is actually really practical. You're around now to get the job done, so it's better than waiting until it's too late.

This has been the track of my acceptance.

Last night I asked my mom how much the check was for. Pop shouted the answer back over the phone and added "Don't forget to thank her for it! Matt (the little brother) is the only one who did the last time!" (The check this week is the second half of our inheritence. We received the first half 3 years ago.)

For the record and not on the Q.T.: Matt may have been the only one who sent a card the last time, but the rest of us called her. I called her twice because the first time she asked for my cousin's address (before he moved up here) and I had to call her back with it. The cousin/roommate remembers calling her as well because she closed the conversation with the following memorable line: "Have a nice life."

Maybe pop meant to say Matt's the only one who *didn't* thank her the last time.

I'm just sayin' ...

No comments: