Saturday, October 16, 2010

She's gotta feed the monkey, man

Back from Vegas. What did I win? The flu. Yayyyyyyyyyy.

That's what I get for gambling a single $20 bill. That's it. That's all I had time for. 20 bucks. And, I'll let you in on a little secret ---- it was from my per diem. Shandich. I know. But I doubled it on Dean Martin's Dance Party and there was much rejoicing.

Then I got sick n' stuff and spent the rest of the week holding my head, throwing up and trying to stay awake, which, in Vegas, people took to mean a hangover. I got a particularly nasty stink-eye from a maintenance worker in the ladies' room.

It was a fun, but exhausting 4 days. We learned how to sell and you can tell that some people were getting it and some weren't. I decided that there were only about 2 people out of the 60 that I would have hired on the spot -- myself not included since I just couldn't nail the cold call. Negotiating and the assessment meeting I could do. Cold calling ... dude ... never did get that one down.

Although there were some that you just wanted to stay the hell away from, most of the other players in the seminar were a hoot. There was Boston (okay I would have hired Boston, so that's 3 people), Mississippi, New Jersey, Los Angeles, Tennessee and 4 we called Bakersfield. Mississippi was my personal favorite. He dropped 4 tequila sunrises in the space of an hour and went out to "burn it down!" and by his account the next day succeeded. You've got to admire skinny little guys with stamina like that.

Did I ever leave the hotel? No, which is probably why I got sick. But I did try to cruise the "Miracle Mile" shops on Wednesday night and found the Bettie Page Shop. It was Mecca. It was Heaven. It was the best store I've ever been in. Everything was gorgeous and perfect and had I not been falling over with flu I would have tried on each and every one of those fantastic dresses.

Proving once again that my phone takes crappy pictures.

They're here online too, but if you're in Vegas, Hollywood or San Francisco, go there. Go. Now.

So, home at last. Dosed myself heavily last night with Tylenol Multi-Symptom Cold Stuff and slept for 12 hours and that seems to have done the trick. I'm breathing anyway and that's an improvement over yesterday. Next will be food consumption. I've had a Pop Tart, but I'd like to move up to soup.

Baby steps, I know.

No comments: