Saturday, October 09, 2010

Let's Play!

Welcome to Good News/Bad News the game where Yin meets Yang!
I'm your host, Li'l Hateful.

We start with 500 points and Bad News:
Scans showed progression again. I don't know how much, because I found this out over the phone (I was the impatient patient and couldn't wait until the 18th to get the results). But it was decided that the tamoxifen wasn't doing me "any good" and to stop taking it. Round 2 goes to the scorecards and cancer wins another one.

400 points - Good News:
I can stop taking tamoxifen so I don't have to use the Sunday - Saturday pill box anymore, which may mean I forget what day it is.

350 points - Bad News:
Since I've been on some form of hormone inhibitor since April the withdrawal is bringing out all of the worst side effects: leg cramping, headaches, what feels like one constant hot flash, and crazy emotional outbursts -- "What do you mean you don't f...king want to get ice cream?!? We go now or we don't go at all!"

300 points - Good News:
There is a round 3 and it's called Faslodex. It's a shot once a month that you get at the doctor's office and my first one is the 18th. I'll get it at the same time as my usual zometa infusion, which, by the way, is still doing its job. There are still no breaks or fractures in the bones.

300 points - Bad News:
The shot is in your rear end and apparently has the consistency of honey, which means it's a long, drawn-out process. It also may not be good for the platelets.

400 points - Good News:
It's better for the platelets than chemo and, for all of you out there pushing for a second opinion, my doctor did have this to say: "I consulted with some of my colleagues here at the cancer center and we agreed that chemo still wasn't a good idea." He asks other people, people. So, yes, I still trust him and now I feel even better about that trust.

500 points - Good News Tie-Breaker:
I'm still going to Vegas on Monday! There was nothing in the scans that would keep me from going and although my platelet count is not entirely desirable, I don't have any bleeding (apart from where the cat accidentally scratched me just now) or bruising, so the doctor gave me the thumbs-up as long as I don't bungee jump or sky dive or mountain climb, etc... etc...

Winner --- Good News!

See? It's not so bad. Not so bad at all.

1 comment:

reverend dick said...

Hell yes go to Vegas.

Stay away from colored drinks in skulls.