Sunday, October 31, 2010

mmm Pop! Pop! Pop Culture!

Ahhhhhhhhhh I loves the Halloween. The candy, the costuming, the candy, the costuming. It's all good, my friends. All good.

For a successful Halloween, you should always practice clean carving on your Jack O'Lantern. I chose this apron made by my cousin Elizabeth and then spent the rest of the night trying not to get anything on it because it's so wonderful. Clean all-around.

as an aside --- look at those boots! Clarks.
I have found my Grail in these fantastic shoes.

And, I'll tell you something for nothing, the new scoop we bought at the supermarket and a very special episode of The Bionic Woman (Vincent Price in dual roles! and Julie Newmar? No WAY!) really brought out the creativity in everyone.

Unfortunately the camera didn't catch the pink-orange glow of the Cinderella pumpkin.
It was very pretty.


And the brownies helped a little ... and the chili ... and the booze, okay, sure. You can't be creative with sharp knives unless you have a little booze first.

Last night was the annual Halloween party extravaganza and the theme was Pop Culture. I know! How great is that? You can be anyone! Anyone at all!

So, yeah, I went obvious and was Lady GaGa. I figured there would be more than one, but the only duplicate we had was Chip Kelly. Go figure. And some people didn't know who I was, so it brought back memories of the failed "Brandy, You're a Fine Girl" costume from the music party, although this wasn't as bad as that one was. (I even had a name tag that said "Brandy" and still no one knew who I was. Dudsville.)(I'm just sayin'... at least this year I'd say "Lady GaGa" and they'd go "Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhh" instead of "Who's that?")

Anyway, tell you what, I made most of this out of scrappy crap from The Dollar Tree and Value Village, but that GaGa is a canny wee businesswoman. Walmart was selling officially licensed GaGa Halloween product. Dude. It takes some savvy to acknowledge that you're a professional clown and then to tap into getting some seasonal cash off the image. Well done, I say. Made me proud to represent her at the party even though I don't know any of her songs. (What was I doing in Walmart? You tell me who else would have control-top fishnet stockings, okay?)

The cousin/roommate was Edward from Twilight and this camera does not do him enough justice. In fact, the flash makes him look more like Michael Myers from Halloween and I don't know what that spooky shadow is, but it also doesn't show off the fantastic glow-in-the-dark fangs, so you're not getting the full effect. I was proud of the pale makeup and the lip stain --- proud to have won the battle of the lip stain, actually. There was much resistance and it did not look like lipstick, people. It's a stain, not a stick.

Actually, I'm a little concerned about the mini Nikon. I think we've worn it out. Next year, bring the big camera ... next year bring the big camera... Still we managed to snag a few shots of fantastic costumes if somewhat less than fantastic focusing. Man, what is with the Coolpix?

This is Wuh Haecker as the Sunmaid Raisin girl. Oh my God, the sun and the bonnet still crack me up. Every year she outdoes me. Nature's candy, my friends. Raisins are Nature's candy.

This is the Octomom who kept sitting on her babies (does this happen to Nadya Suleman in real life? I wonder...) and the rapper with her low-slung pants and chains ......... oh man, I love love LOVE Halloween.

As expected, this year I've got a favorite. Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, all the way from the pages of The Bable --- the Virgin Mary!


That's Jesus behind her adjusting the sombrero/halo, which switched to blinking twinkling by the end of the night. Jesus quickly lost his scratchy beard and became I, Claudius (he was a fussy Jesus), but Mary kept her lights all night and you could always find her no matter where she was in the house. She definitely gets points for bravery and will score even higher if she follows through and wears it to her library job today.

Oh yeah, and here is the obligatory pipe photo.

Wow, the white makeup really makes my eye circles stand out. What would GaGa say?

2 comments:

Jessi said...

I did wear the virgin Mary costume to work at the library, and people loved it! I got lots of laughs and people had a million silly comments, like, "If you can't help me, no one can!"

li'l hateful said...

You are my idol. (Oh, not in the saint way, I meant in the people as saint way. Cah, the Catholic guilt.)

Rephrase: You are my hero. (Not in the mythology way, but in the people as mythology way.) (This isn't working.)