Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Whole Lotta Money That's Ready to Burn

Well, this should have been an indication right here.

My designated taxi station at the airport

Spent 2 days in Vegas doing work stuff and it was an okay trip apart from the fact that it was in Vegas. If it had been in Phoenix or Tulsa, it would have been a little better. I know, I know --- I love Vegas, I do, but when you go there by yourself you realize pretty quickly how dirty and irritating the town really is.

I stayed at Planet Hollywood and from the minute you step into the building you're bombarded with deafening pumping techno downstairs or, for some weird reason, classic rock in the conference center. Friends, you haven't heard "Crimson and Clover" until you've heard it echo through an empty restroom. Combine the noise with a continental breakfast of low-protein food and you begin to suspect that you're being brainwashed and sucked into a cult run by Powers Booth. "Have more bread. We all love you. Keep playing the slots. We all love you. Double down."

The rooms are apparently all movie-related and -- More. Bad. Luck. -- I get one dedicated to Nine Months (1995). That's right, the movie Hugh Grant was making when he got popped for getting a pop from Divine Brown.

Some dried up wreath, no explanation -- It's a prop? It's Gothic decor?

Oh, and the television didn't work until the second day (the day I was checking out, which is when I lost the WiFi). So, yeah, maybe I wanted to do some gambling -- hell, it's Vegas, right? -- but what are my chances with this kind of starter? So Wednesday night I figure, screw it, I'll just take a bath and go to bed. Why f--k with fate? Besides it's a nice tub: deep, looks comfy...

sorry ... the flash? it di'n't go

But, oh, uh ... is that Joan Cusack and Tom Arnold looking down at you?


Yeah, so maybe I just went to bed the first night. Thank God they didn't look down on the toilet.

I did manage to get some gambling in on Thursday night. I was a little buzzed from matching the boss on drinks so I didn't really care about luck, therefore I won $50. Then I lost $25 of it pretty quickly the next morning when I was sober, coffee'd-up and paying attention.

This is Vegas.

Vegas business casual:
Von Trapp family play-clothes-from-curtains skirt,
almost-matching cardi and Archival Clothing musette.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

So often the case: It's about the people and not the place. Glad you got to go anyway. (Like the skirt.)

Unknown said...

Lookin' good, Mr. Kotter!!