Friday, April 16, 2010

Hill Street Blues, Blacks, Browns, Tans

Sorry, we haven't watched much in the way of full-length movies lately, although Monday we had a nice evening out with friends watching Tropic Thunder ... dude ... that movie was righteous. Made me want to give Pineapple Express another chance. Goofiness is a good release.

Instead of film-going we've been tv-going and on a whim I threw Hill Street Blues on the Netflix. (If I told you why it would ruin my credibility)(Okay, it was a 6-degrees-of-separation thing from an episode of Here Come the Brides)(1 degree actually, because it was an episode with Daniel J. Travanti.)(He called himself Travanty then.)(But I digress.)

Like most people, I never watched Hill Street Blues when it was on. It was too adult or too dark or too much like homework unlike, say, The Dukes of Hazzard. I was in high school, I didn't want to have to think n' junk, and after high school I was more drink than think, so I just never got around to thoughtful television. If Alexis wasn't looking for a way to screw over Blake and Crystal then I didn't care.

The best thing about Fay is this koi fish print shirt

But this is a good show. There's lots of boy love between Hill and Renko -- good, honest boy love that makes me want to hug them -- and the stories are interesting, in the station and on the street. I don't like Fay much, but no one does, and LaRue had better turn himself around because Henry makes a nice partner to Washington. Although since there are only 2 seasons available on disc I guess I'll never know if LaRue straightens out, if Belker ever shaves, if Betty and Joe ever hook up or if Davenport and Furillo get married.


They were the absolutely the handsomest couple on 80's television. His suits were impeccable. Blue suits, black suits, brown with a dark brown vest underneath -- in one episode he says that the cleaners burned down and he lost 3 suits. I almost cried.

2 comments:

Taij said...

I watched the show when it was on. If you had only listened to your big brother back then...

It's been so long, but Belker never shaved and Betty and Joe never hooked up because I think one of them left the show early and the character got bumped off. LaRue I think sort of straightened out.

As for the Chief and the Prosecutor, I don't think they ever got married but they did stay together for the entire series run.

Oh and a bunch of other people got shot and/or arrested, and the morning sargeant died.

Now let's be careful out there...

Hilary Hart said...

Furillo doesn't marry Davenport, he marries my friend Tris and changes his name to Greg.