Monday, December 14, 2009

Buckaroo Medicine - Natural Healing

Friday I broke a blood vessel in my eye. You know in Alien 3 when Sigourney Weaver first lands on the prison planet/ship with the entire catalog of male character types from UK Actor's Equity? It looked like that. This constitutes "strange bleeding" to me, so I call the blood guy and he gives me a prescription for steroids -- 10 a day for 4 days -- to up my platelet count to heal the thing. It would heal on its own, but in normal people this means a couple of days. In me it would mean a couple of weeks of monster eye.

No big. 4 days. I can do it. So I start taking them, go out Saturday to finish shipping stuff off and take care of an embarassing error with a security tag at Fred Meyer (I didn't know it was still on there when we walked out the door -- Why didn't anyone stop us?) and Sunday I wake up feverish with this weird sunburn rash on my face and neck. What the? This isn't on the list of side effects! Where's my steroid euphoria??

Turns out steroids kill your immune system, which means you can catch just about anything floating around out there. Yeah, isn't that great? Even the hyped swine flu or whatever the hell else people are breathing on you -- touch it and it's yours. So I filled up on soup, tomato juice and brussel sprouts, and things are coming around today, although I'm still a little out of body balance. Stupit pills.

Although, honestly, the real healing came from watching Zanjeer (1973) yesterday.

Oh Amitabh ... is there anything he can't do?

No comments: