Thursday, August 20, 2009

unFair

I apologize if you've heard this metaphor before, but I can't think of a better one -- It used to be that hearing a concert at the Lane County Fair was like buying a vowel on Wheel of Fortune: Why would I pay $13 to stand on one side of the barrier when I can hear the same music for free on the other side of the barrier (or the front lawn of our house)? It's useless. I'm not shelling out dough for something I can get for free. Well, apparently someone got wise and moved the concerts inside one of the exhibition halls, right next to the room with the cakes, cookies and shortbreads, and now you can't hear it outside anymore.

Which, on the aside, it was pretty funny to be looking at Junior Yeast Breads and listening some local opening band shout out the old "ROCK ON EUGENE" on the other side of the wall.

This year's big act was Foreigner. We didn't pay for the show (as usual), but since the good bathrooms are in the exhibition halls anyway I figured we'd catch at least one decent song by doing a pop-in. What do you think is playing? Is it "Hot Blooded"? "Urgent"? "Cold as Ice"? "Juke Box Hero"? ANY of the great ones????

No. It was "I Want to Know What Love Is." And since security was there to move along loiterers trying to catch the show for free in the hallway, there was no chance to wait around for something better.

Boo.

So we went on the Zipper. TWICE. The second time my sunglasses zipped right out of the cage. We found them later on the midway.

Thank God for contact lenses, man. That's all. If my bi-focals had come off they'd have knocked somebody out.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

While I love your descriptive writing and wish I had been with you at the fair, all I can say here is..
Foreigner?! YUCK!

li'l hateful said...

Come ON!! "Feels Like the First Time" is a CLASSIC! For some reason, I seem to know the words to all their songs and I don't own any of their albums. It's crazy.

reverend dick said...

Standin' in the rain, with his head hung low, cuz he couldn't get a ticket. It was a sold out show....


JUKEBOX HEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!


Got to keep on rockin'.