Wednesday, April 01, 2009

C'est l'arte

Why are art majors stuck up? "Oh my God, I can't believe there are so many people in here who have never taken an art history class." There was sneer on her face as she said it to the student next to her, as if the field hands had dared to come into the parlor. I know my Degas from my Ingres, little missy. You want to know about Delacroix? I've read his diary. This isn't a contest, which is good for you because I could run you right down, you and your high falooteness. Besides, if the professor is open to teaching the unwashed masses, then who the hell are you? REVOLUTION! LA DEMOCRATIE! ("I told you to speak your mind, Jack, but Jesus...")

Maybe I'm just sensitive and probably still smarting over the idea of News/Editorial being on the low rung of Journalism, like magazine writing is so much better. And when did Advertising pass us up anyway? I blame Mad Men. Television culture shapes us, I know it. My high falooten theory is that television makes society, whether you watch it or not. It's the opium of the mass...oh wait. I'll come up with a new theory ... I'm just sayin', we need Lou Grant to come back on the air and save print. That's all.

Speaking of The Hunt for Red October (which I was above, not directly, but up there) the cops finally called me back about our stuff and the only thing they can confirm they have is my suitcase: "But when you come in to pick it up you can see if there's anything else of yours here." So they might have more than my suitcase, but they're not sure, but there's probably nothing, but just in case they might let us look at things, but there's probably nothing else ... dude. I just want my movies back. How hard is it to definitively say "There is nothing here with Sean Connery in it"?

No comments: