Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Who's that writin? (john the revelator)

I'm in the student union and it smells funny in here. I suspect it's the young hippy types at the table next to me, but I just sat down so I don't know if it'll look bad to get up again. Pretty soon tho ... it's going to break me down.

Taking a break from writing about Gray Gardens because I'm starting to dream in Little Edie's voice. "It's just like dancing, freedom is" and junk like that. Documentary? Mockumentary? Both or neither? Those are my questions. I saw a clip from the HBO movie with Jessica Lange as Edith Beale and Drew Barrymore as Little Edie -- and I didn't think Drew could do it, really. She's so different, but then she starts talking "it's a skirt, but you can also wear it as a cape" and it's spooky good. I'm trying to talk cousin/roommate into HBO for April, maybe some kind of trial thing that we can easily cancel.

The term is nearly over and senioritis is turning into early nostalgia. I'm going to miss these stinky obnoxious kids. They definitely give color to the day. And I like writing papers. Sure, they get involved sometimes and I dream about them (or about characters in them or as characters in them), but I really like putting down that argument and backing it up with evidence. It's the frustrated lawyer in me. I wish there was some chance that this would turn into a regular reporting gig somewhere, but there's no chance. An editor from the Boston Globe is coming to campus in a few weeks, but I predict he won't have much in the way of hope for us gradueets. Has the San Francisco Chronicle closed yet?

So it goes.

I'll always have dear little blog, home to my thoughts and experiences and ... ... and I can't take it anymore. I'm going outside. I don't care how cold it is. Dude. What generates a smell like that?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two words for you: graduate school. Yeah, I said it...what are you gonna do about it?

Lesli Larson said...

Agreed about graduate school or a J.D.

li'l hateful said...

Fahhhhhhhhh I was looking at international film schools so I could continue my in depth studies of the Shah Rukh Khan industry, but I'm all old and complacent n' stuff. We're putting in the cedar beds next week and planting beans, I couldn't move from that. Although Columbia had a really attractive 8-week publishing course in the summer, but I think I missed the deadline because I'm all old and complacent n' stuff.

Anonymous said...

I remember writing a letter of recommendation for that slick dude from the Rizzoli in Pasadena for that Columbia publishing course. (What was that guy's name? You know who I'm talking about.) No, I'm talking about serious grad school...film, english, etc...take that student loan and double down.

li'l hateful said...

oh yeah ... I remember that guy. David something? There was a David that wore skinny ties, but I think this was a different David.