Thursday, March 26, 2009

Last night, I didn't get to sleep at all. No. NOOOOO

I'm house-sitting minding the cousin's dog and cat whom I love. I really do. Nessa is a Schnoodle and very sweet although she has a fear of television and watching Bollywood hasn't helped her with that. And Marosa is, hands down, the crankiest cat in the world (or in whole Europe, choose your reference). She's deaf, so she really pumps up the volume on meowing, and it's angry meowing because she's also very old. Imagine you're trapped in an elevator with Beethoven and he really needs a bottle of wine before the DTs kick in. It's like that. I'm constantly shouting back "WHAT?" even though I know she's deaf ... it's a good relationship.

The dog and cat tolerate one another, although the cat would rather not have to tolerate the dog and the dog is sometimes willing to push that button a little and not give in to the cranky cat, but for the most part they move in separate but equal spaces around the house. Marosa usually sleeps upstairs while Nessa takes the bed, but last night they decided they both wanted the bed. It came out something like this:
(Okay, don't make fun of the stick. It was drawn on Microsoft Paint with a Dell Mini ... you try it.) So it was kind of a Yin/Yang set up that seemed to work out fine for them, but left me stiff and cranky this morning, crying like Bach stuck in the elevator with Beethoven.

They've also decided that after 2 days they're going to test my limits and bark at the night and climb on stuff. I expect to find my underwear under the couch and a Schnoodle doodle on the carpet when I get home just to see what I'll do...

Bottom line: I'm definitely a single (pet) girl.

4 comments:

reverend dick said...

If they pull that kind of stunt, you might consider pretending to talk to the cat- you know, just mouthing whole conversations to her. It'll drive her mad, and she'll shape right up. Old folks really respond to that sort of thing.

As for the dog that is part poodle, a forced viewing of "The Last Dragon" at high volume ought to do it. Sho Nuff!

Lesli Larson said...

Love the line drawing (like London Illustrated News from 19th century)! Did you take a course in this technique via the J-school?

In my home, the hound is exiled to his own next door chamber (to make way for central placement of the cats on the bed). I recommend that you do the same.

Side note: what's the cable and snack selection like at the cousin's house?

li'l hateful said...

Oh man ... no cable, no BluRay, no sectional couch ... GOD I miss home. You're coming over next week. Okay? To the real house. I'm just picking a day: Friday. Yes? You can be there? Yes? Wait, I'm inviting you through the blog ... that's cheesy. I'll send you an email instead.

Lesli Larson said...

I'd love to come over. But let's plan for an event once I get through my "hell week" ride in Canada (I'll be away the previous weekends doing prep rides). I'll be back on the 18th (feel like I'm being shipped up for some sort of tough love teen reform program).

I want to see this Blu-ray thingee.