Sunday, June 15, 2008

How I spent my summer vacation

School officially ended on Friday. My last final was Thursday, but Friday night was the initiation into Kappa Tau Alpha -- no paddling or beer bongs, and we didn't have to wear red robes or sleep with a Phi Beta Kappa to join. It was a collect the pin/get a photo/go celebrate type of thing. Saw the Ethics professor after the initiation and he had this look on his face like "I know you, but who are you" -- as if I didn't flipping bark questions at him in every class period for the entire term. I'm officially smart, Herr Mac. So there! Side note: bookstore wouldn't take back his textbook. "We're not buying it," they said. Neither am I -- so, through with it, I threw it in the donation bin, which is a collection of books going to Africa. What they'll do with it, I can't imagine. I'm sure it'll be just as useful in Africa as it was in Oregon.

I'm KTA number 61301 (I am not a number! I am a free ... erm ... student.). I celebrated with a nasty bout of food poisoning Friday night and all day work on the house Saturday. We're fixing the "problem areas" for the real estate guy and hoping that our quick gloss will convince the would-be buyer that we're worth keeping on as tenants. I really don't want to move the books again. I mean, this place isn't the greatest -- and last night's serenade of losers and creeps outside ("That's 5 years in San Quentin, man" -- reminiscing about the past or planning for the future? And why did he have to yell it?) confirmed that this is one of the worst locations in the city -- but, I've got to say, this place grows on you. And now that we've Rug Doctored I feel a sense of ownership.

I don't know. No possessions, as the Daoists say. Possessions make you heavy. I'm ready to let it go, but not until I have to. I'm not going to hole-up with 10 sticks of dynamite and threaten to blow the place if they make us move, but I'm not going to roll over either. Didn't I just plant Italian tomatoes in the back? (I did.)

Now ... if we can just convince them to kick out the duplex neighbors...

No comments: