Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Yreka

While having my yogurt and coffee (Not-Quite-But-Almost South Beach Diet) lunch today I overheard a conversation that suddenly made everything clear.

Boy 1: So what are you going to do after graduation?
Boy 2: I don't know. My parents just keep saying "Get a degree. Get a degree." But I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it.
Boy 1: Yeah, most companies just want to see if you have one when they hire. They don't care what it's for.
Boy 2: That's what I figure. Maybe I'll get a teaching credential or something. I don't know. What are you going to do?
Boy 1: I'm going to go work for the [previously mentioned Christian] youth group.
Boy 2: Cool.

So, I guess I shouldn't be worried about having to compete with these kids for jobs. Most of them are just filling time to get the degree paper, so competition should be minimal. Not that I'm counting on that, I'm just sayin' ... the less fish to fight and all ... Maybe this will all work out okay.

And, not to jinx it, but, pssst, I get it. Economics. I think I'm beginning to get it. Monopolies ... that's where the money's at. You need to monopolize. I'm still working on the equation flash cards, since I need to get an A to pass ... or at least to keep my C (based on the curve) average. Black holes, neutron stars and supernovae -- why are those so much easier to understand than supply and demand? Go figure.

No comments: