Saturday, February 09, 2008

Vergeltung


I don't know if it was because it was midterm week, if it's the work at pressure and pressure at work, or what the hell made me do it, but last night I mixed. And then I worried.

Not only did I mix, but the first was gin. As reported here not too long ago, gin was my first drunk and for years, years, years, I couldn't touch the stuff. I couldn't go near it. I had to chew Razzles just at the thought of the taste. I've been working my way back slowly, and started off last night with an innocent enought Richmond gimlet. Well, the lime juice ran out and we were still talking and having a good time, so like a beginner-drunk, I changed to pomegranate vodka martinis. Mother of mercy -- it was the end of Rico.

I haven't felt like this is in ages. I went through two (count-em, two) bags of pretzels and I'm still shaking. I haven't done any homework and my inability to move nearly got me trapped watching "Watership Down" on cable -- thank God the cousin/roommate stepped in and saved me with "Urban Cowboy". Speaking of, I'm shocked SHOCKED that my pal Joey, who is in both my media and my film class, had never heard of "Urban Cowboy". And he calls himself a cinefile ... I mean, sure, he's about 19 or something, but still. I watch movies made before my time all the time. But what a reminder that today's fad is yesterday's forgotten.

Cahhhhhhhhhhh I wish I could forget yesterday, but it keeps coming up again.

3 comments:

Mr. Bascomb said...

Remember what Egon says...

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.

Now you understand!...Important lessons learned from movies of the 80's.

These poor kids nowadays...Sit him down for a night of 80's film education...After Urban Cowboy have him watch Footloose, then Flashdance. And then finish off with Scarface for good measure. Oh, wait...you might want to throw in either Sixteen Candles or The Breakfast Club to round things out..

Film studies is NOT just about Citizen Kane and The Battleship Potemkin!...fer cryin' out loud!

reverend dick said...

Respectfully, there is no "or" with regard to 16 Candles. It IS the 80s. See also: Conan, Strange Brew, and (of course) Weird Science.

Also, it's the fruity drinks that hurt more than the switching...

li'l hateful said...

You know, people forget about that stuff. In class today we were discussing the "teen" genre and "16 Candles" is this mystery movie. (GTF: Has anyone seen "16 Candles? ... No? ... You should.") And one of the kids in the class is named Sloan Cameron. How can you not be deep into John Hughes with a name like that? (Although, in all fairness, she did acknowledge that she was aware of the origin of her name -- her middle name is not Ferris.) The 80's won't be ignorrrrrrrrrrrrrred.
word.
word p.s.: I'll never drink again. never.