Saturday, September 29, 2007

"No one will really be free until nerd persecution ends."

One week down of year 3 ... I think I have this college thing down, but I have a feeling just when I start to really enjoy it, I'll be graduating.

Writing for the Media:
It started with Morris Day and the Time singing "Jungle Love" as we filed into class. Good? Bad? I think good, but I have a natural fear of optimism, so I'll think good and say bad. It may work out okay, but I can't shake the fear that I'm going to screw it up somehow. My controversial paper is pretty weak, but it sounds like everyone else is having the same problem, so maybe it'll work out. My biggest fear for this class: I think I'm going to have to get a cell phone so I can set up interviews during school break hours. Why why why ...

Sociology:
Professor looks like the Amish grandfather in "Witness" but is a delightful little powder keg of liberal bias. Once we started in on the lectures it got really interesting and will most likely continue to be so. Bad: I was knocked down in the section for admitting that the last movie I saw was Harry Potter ("Oh, you're one of those people" -- whatever that means). The students who had seen "Transformers" didn't get that reaction. But I did get props for having a red star on my carrier bag (thanks DWS).

Astronomy:
I don't know ... I get the analemma thing, but it kind of irritated me that when I asked what happened between the "gas cloud" and "stars emerged" I was put off with "That will be addressed in Astronomy 123." What th... I want to know now. Just because it won't be on the test doesn't mean it's unnecessary knowledge ... unless it's complicated. Then it's probably for the best that I don't know.

And if it involves math ... forget it.

No comments: