Sunday, August 05, 2007

I believe in America. America has made my fortune.

My good friend Wendy passed along her Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual for my continuing studies in Journalism. (Side note: she switched to the English Department when she discovered that the J-school was full of a-holes ... a studies change that I am also thinking about doing since the J-school is still full of a-holes.)

As of this summer my new goal is not to work for People or US (although I wouldn't turn them down, especially if offered the Stars Are Just Like Us segment in US). I've decided to aim much lower and go for a job at Star. There's much more creativity involved in a story at Star. My theory is that most stories are built around a photograph, or short series of photographs. The interviews are usually with people unconnected with the story ("Doctor has not treated Britney/Lindsay/Nicole/Paris/Paula Abdul") so it's really just so-and-so appears to be causing a scandal and what the general opinion is of the scandal or the so-and-so. It's totally made up. It's like creative non-fiction that's mostly fiction, but presented and believed to be non-fiction.

Which made Chapter 6 so much fun to read: "Don't try to fix a possibly libelous story by elimination, correction, sub or new lead. If there is any unprivileged or unsafe material in the story, the dangerous portion MUST BE KILLED ... It is not necessary to kill the entire item." fah ha ha -- Star has no such guideline, clearly. Nicole Richie looks anorexic ... she won't comment, the doctor interviewed has never treated her, but thinks she's anorexic, and there's no medical proof ... but there's the photo ... so ... uh ... okay RUN IT.

Working for Star has also cemented my desire to own a Cooper Mini convertible. My paparazzi can shoot out of the top of the car while we chase down the celebs. "You just get a photo! I'll make a story!"

No comments: