Sunday, June 03, 2007

sing. sing a song.


Today I went to Target and bought my own record player for the upstairs library.

I wanted something to play while I worked on the PC, but mostly it was because my records were pariah to the cousin/roommate's nice stereo. Sure, not everyone likes Andy Gibb and I know I'm the only one holding onto the virtues "Devil Woman" by Cliff Richard. I get it and I've got no problem with that. And most of my records are in good condition, but I liked to play them. A lot. So some are a little more worn out than others and it would irritate the cousin/roommate to hear his millionaire needle scratching over the top of "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves". Now that I'm upstairs I'm indulging in a gluttony of great records without the guilt of sharing crap with everyone or bouncing the needle. And the player was hella cheap, so I'm not worried about playing scratchy stuff like Bobby Sherman on it. The replacement needles are $15. No diamond tips here, for sure.

So, I started with "Love and Pride" by King and followed up with "Afternoon Delight" by the Starlight Vocal Band. Now it's The Carpenters. Yeah, they're corny, but "Superstar" is a bomb song. "Rainy Days and Sundays" ... who could not like these songs? "When they get to the part/Where he's breakin' her heart/It can really make me cry..."

They remind me of my late Aunt Florence. I didn't like her much because she was kind of loud and rough and pushy, but when she died my cousin told me how much her mom loved The Carpenters. Now I think of her every time I put the record on and it makes me appreciate Aunt Florence more than I did while she was alive. She arranged for a beer truck at her funeral -- that's right, a truck full of beer with taps on the side. She was loud and pushy and rough, but she also had some shine.

That's what The Carpenters will do for you, man.

Amen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey..."beer truck"...my favorite phrase in the English language. I'm in Italy this week to train up some freakin' Italians. I got to see the end of the Giro d'Italia bike race in Milan yesterday. I'm in Genoa now and off to Bologna tomorrow. Lay some Italian on me so I can impress with my my mad language skillz. Blogger knows I'm in Italy..."Lascia il tuo commento".

li'l hateful said...

Qui 'e qualcuni frasi per usarti. Non ti dimenticara usare "In bocca di lupo!" per gli studenti. la significa 'e "In the mouth of the wolf" e la riposta 'e "Crepi!" (may the wolf die.) It's for exams, ma, e possible usare per altro.

Posso mostrarti il mio obelisco?
- May I show you my obelisk?
Scusami, se il mio scherzo sul papa ha offeso qualcuno.
- Sorry if my pope jokes offended anyone.
Di Ital 101 (grazie Dept. of Ed.):
Che cazzo vuoi? - What the fuck do you want?
Sei un gran rompipalle - You're busting my balls.
Sei uno stronzo - You're an asshole.
And then one I came up with myself:
Devo fare la mia bevanda su - I've got to get my drink on. It doesn't translate all that well ... "I have to make my drink on" ... hmmpf.

li'l hateful said...

Oh! uno molto:

Il camion di birra.

mmmmm birra

Anonymous said...

I'm in Bologna tonight...this hotel is too nice.
http://tinyurl.com/346odw

li'l hateful said...

mamma feckin' mia! You can have a butler on request n' junk. The one in Firenze looks like it has beds in the bar. Those Eye-ties sure know how to hospitalitize.

Anonymous said...

Tonight...
http://www.rome.radissonsas.com/

li'l hateful said...

uhhhhhh mi non piace. 'E troppo weird, yo.