Monday, June 26, 2006

Hot enough to fry an egg? Hot enough to fry a girl's brain

Summer's here. One day it's windy-cold and the next it's a hair dryer at 100 degrees. That's Oregon for you. Actually, today was reminding me of California and those unbearable days in Temple City when I would drive and hour and a half to my parents house in Huntington Beach just for the 10 degree temperature change. I swear living in the San Gabriel Valley is what warped my Ultravox albums.

As it's too hot to exercise, think or do much besides drink vodka and sit around on the couch, I've been getting a lot reading done. I'd nearly forgotten how great reading for pleasure was. Geez, go figure. So this Donna Tartt is pretty good. I thought following up Margaret Atwood would hurt the impact, but I'm really enjoying "The Secret History." Okay, sure, it's from 1992 and she thanks Bret Easton Ellis for his help, but it's got a timelessness about it that you don't see much in modern fiction (certainly not in anything by Ellis). I'm kinda diggin' it.

Sports Break: Aussie's are out of the cup. Ghana's got to face Brazil now (ha. ha. Good thing we got bumped). And England still hasn't faced anyone really strong yet. Cup action is business as usual. I was sad to see Mexico drop. Cah, I hate Argentina. Who's left to support? Viva l'italia, bambini.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh to stumble upon The Secret History for the first time again...how I envy you.