Sunday, April 23, 2006

exHarmony

Spent an hour on eHarmony this morning -- did their whole 29 step, million-man-march questionnaire and the first 5 "test" matches they had for me were all at least 2 years younger (or more) than I am, 4 of them had misspellings in their profiles (one doesn't like "waisting" time on ... something. I don't remember what exactly) and 3 of them had spoutings about God in the profile. Now, I'm not a heathen. I was raised Catholic and I'm, admittedly, dabbling a little in Zen, but in this current climate of Christian Right and the whole "St. Paul says that women are supposed to be submissive" thing ... dude, do I really want to match up with that or even something that is borderline that? And, if eHarmony is so great that they can charge like Dolly Levi for the service, then why do they translate "spiritual, but not religious" into someone who would match with that?

I'm not saying this won't work -- for a minute there I was really getting into the questionnaire, because it's definitely more involved than the other ones I've tapped into lately -- but the payoff just wasn't enough. I don't know. I just don't think I've reached the compromise state yet -- and, sure, maybe this wouldn't be a compromise. Maybe the misspellings were a fluke and these guys were just too nervous to check a dictionary. I focus on the wrong things, I admit it. But I just don't think I could truck with an uber-Christian or moderate Christian or someone who thinks they can use God's influence in an eHarmony profile (or presidential election or boxing match, etc...).

No comments: