Friday, November 04, 2005

All I do the whole night through is dream of you-oo-oo

Part I:
This week has blown -- school is crazy; there's a co-worker on medical leave so my hours are increasing and I got no hours to give; I have no idea what's been going on in my head other than it's been clearly somewhere else (praying to St. Anthony ... not helping find the head); and I hate the kids at school. Dude, can they see beyond their cell-phone circle? Cahhhhh this whole thing with the advertising and the hate and the incredible stuff that comes out of their mouths. I blame the "O.C." for filling them with nonsense. Oh, and then I find out that "Most Haunted" was largely faked and Derek isn't really channelling -- that was the best part of the show! The silly voices, the weird ghost talk ... Fecking A, could they stomp on anymore of my butterflies?

Part II:
"Singing in the Rain" cures it all. I tell you, when they start singing "Moses Supposes" or anytime Jean Hagen opens her mouth ("What do they think I am? Dumb or something? Why, I make more money than - than - than Calvin Coolidge! Put together!") it's magic. I can't even explain why there's that weird, freakish musical number in the middle, but it's got Cyd Charisse being super-smokey.

Honestly, I hate musicals. God! "Oklahoma" just drives me crazy -- and watching Rod Steiger sing doesn't make it any better. "Jed is dead" what the hell is that anyway?? -- or "Oliver!", by God how I hate "Oliver!" (except for Oliver Reed who's just creepy-fascinating) but "Singing in the Rain" has something special. I don't know ... is it Gene's pants or Debbie's wide-eyed silliness or Donald O'Connor bucking for a laugh ... I just don't know...

Maybe it's this fun bit of trivia I found on the IMDB: Debbie Reynolds remarked many years later that making this movie and surviving childbirth were the two hardest things she's ever had to do.

Fahhhhh no wonder it makes me feel better. Can't say the week's been as bad as all that.

No comments: