Thursday, September 29, 2005

There Are No Wrong Answers (except that one)

So far this whole university thing is pretty manageable. Today is the last crazy day of the week (tomorrow it's work-school-work as opposed to work-school-work-school) so the jury is still out on how this is going with the work schedule. I will say this: when I'm in class all day Monday and Wednesday, I honestly don't give a hoot what's going on at the office.

The breakdown:
- Comparative Lit - honestly, at first I wasn't very interested. It probably had more to do with the fact that they keep changing the effing classroom (at least they gave us notice the last time) than anything else. I like the instructor well enough, but the class, being at 8 in the morning, is primarily dead-headed and I don't envy her the task of waking us up. The best she had was a bizarre debate over poetry as performance between loud-mouth poetry defender A and loud-mouth I-don't-get-it-so-it-can't-be-good detractor B. Both were absent or asleep in the second class, thank God.
- Italian - if I didn't have to sit next to Signorina Chatterbox ("I saved you a seat! My boyfriend lives in Korea and he called me this morning at 5 am so I'm SOOOOOOOOOO tired.") it might be fun. Most of the time it's irritating. In fact, I may just keep a daily blog of our conversations. Today's entry: we're assigned names and places so we can introduce ourselves to our classmates. I get to be Nico from Naples, which I think is pretty cool. "Nico? What's that mean?" It doesn't mean anything. It's a name, and it happens to be the name of a singer who sang with the Velvet Underground. "Who?" (followed by slant-eyed/suspicious look, like I made up the name) "You're weird."
- Tai Chi - come on, you have to make a ball before you can part the wild horse's mane and you still have to infuse yourself with a column of golden light. It's harder than you think.
- Mass Media and Society - big class, lively instructor ... so far it looks like it's going to win for most interesting and worthwhile.
- Writing 121 - why do I always get stuck in the discussion groups who know all the answers (and are way off the point) and would rather discuss their 4 PE classes than the writing topic? Is it just me? Kids, kids ... have you done the reading? It was only 4 freakin' pages. You can't make some time for that? The instructor's understanding of Tom Waits also leaves something to be desired, however he gets marks for exposing the kids to it and, to be fair, he was using it to make a specific point so it wasn't worth debating ... so I guess I can let it slide. That said, I should probably look into testing out of the class.

5:15 -- off to work.

1 comment:

Deepfry said...

hiya. i felt bad for being so absorbed in recognizing that hilary was in front of me that i totally didn't see you at all...such is the lot of the non-morning person. anyways, i'm sure i'll be seeing you around the library a lot. fun!