Monday, August 22, 2005

Fun Facts

Things I've already learned this week (and it's only Monday):

Adam & Eve on a Raft is (are?) poached eggs with roasted tomatoes, mushrooms and ham on toast

University of Oregon students ride FREE on the bus in Eugene. This is the best thing EVER. Sure, you have to ride with some folks who may want to sit on your lap and talk to you, but you also get to read and listen to music without struggling for a parking spot and that is very cool.

Sadie Hawkins started in the L'il Abner comic strip -- this was a fun fact I threw out recently among family and friends, but, honestly, I was totally talking out of my ass based on some half-remembered film version of the comic. Turns out I hit it on the head (thank God). I quote: Sadie Hawkins was "the homeliest gal in the hills" who grew tired of waiting for the fellows to come a courtin'. Her father, Hekzebiah Hawkins, a prominent resident of Dogpatch, was even more worried about Sadie living at home for the rest of his life, so he decreed the first annual Sadie Hawkins Day, a foot race in which the unmarried gals pursued the town's bachelors, with matrimony the consequence.

Shazam!

No comments: