Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm Goin' In

In 4 hours I will be checking into the Overlook Hotel for an infusion of Rituximab.


Is this or is this not the purdiest hospital you've ever seen? The insides are like a ski lodge. I can't wait to see the rooms.

No. Really.

So, I gots to get this stuff called Rituximab. If you're at work Jo will look it up and find the worst side effects, but don't be scared, she just likes to see the spectrum. Click HERE for the lowdown from the Mayo Clinic. They put it in a little at a time so they can gauge the reaction, so it can take anywhere from 6 - 24 hours. They said sometimes they have to stop it and then you're in for the long haul because you don't get out until it's done and the longer your body fights it, the longer it takes. Great to hear when you've got an over-active immune system.

But do I bring comfortable clothes? Will they give me coffee? Is it basic cable or do they have Turner Classic Movies? Questions with vague answers ("You could." "If you have special food from home you can bring it in." "It's a little better than basic."), so I'll just stock up on stuff from here. I'm bringing soft socks and my DS -- 24 hours is a long time to go without Mario Kart and Bookworm -- and the crapped-out mini Dell, which runs while plugged in and may at least get me Netflix and maybe email.

But, yes, once more it's a slide into the unknown. Will I be home tonight? Wednesday? No idea. All of a sudden stuff happens and you just have to go with it and see what comes out in the end. Cancer is funny that way.

To prep we spent last night on the couch watching silly television: Monty Python (the "Full Frontal Nudity" episode is highly recommended), Peabody and Sherman, Felix the Cat, Fat Albert ----- boy, Filmation at its best there. The characters had expressions that changed n' stuff. Far superior to Archie and Friends.

Anyway, all is well. All is well. That is all.

Oh! And you all need to watch In the Heat of the Night (1967).


I love when Best Picture winners really are great pictures. I could watch this again and again and I'm bruised from kicking myself for not watching it before. Man, and I don't even like Rod Steiger! "Poor Jed is dead..."

2 comments:

Lesli Larson said...

From a thumbnail angle, I thought you were writing about the new Matt arena..

Let us know if you need any Fresca guests by your bedside. I could also schlep in some sort of tv/vcr cassette player for an old time VHS tape viewing session (if TCM is not an option).

Keep us posted!

LL

floraphile said...

Aw, man. Wish I could be there to pester you bedside and keep you up to date on the week's trashy mags.