Tuesday, October 05, 2010

A Movie Nearly Every Night: The Fugitive

The Fugitive (1993)
Dir. Andrew "Under Siege" Davis
Starring: Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, Sela Ward, and the city of Chicago

actor? movie star? meh, who cares

Why this old chestnut? Friends, it's October and here in Oregon that means it starts raining and doesn't stop until next June (with the exception of one strangely sunny week every February). When it's gloomy out you don't put on a tuxedo. You put on an old sweater and some fat pants.

The Fugitive
is video fat pants.

I love Tommy Lee Jones. I love him as Doolittle Lynn. I love him as Agent K. I love him as the crazy cop in The Eyes of Laura Mars. And I love love love him as Sam Gerrard.


He is my role model. He's firm, but he's fair. He barks at his staff ("Why are you always yelling at me? Why don't you yell at someone else?"), but he loves them ("What could I do? He was going to kill one of my kids.") and, above all, he doesn't bargain.

Did you get that? Yeah, I got that...

I love that the fight between Richard Kimble and the one-armed man on the el train is done in ties and sports coats.

knit, understated, one-color vs. silk paisley

I love Jeroen Krabbe who has made an art out of playing nasty bad guys. I blame Paul Verhoeven for this, but it's also something of a thank you since without him Jeroen may still be stuck in those soft leading roles.

"Richard Kimble is my friend." Do you believe him? No way.

I love that there are five or six shots just of the city of Chicago. It's the first thing we see before any people even show up.


And then there are all these panning shots of buildings, caressing them down from top to bottom. Some directors film women this way and I'm not just saying that because I've mentioned Verhoeven. The cinematographer is Michael Chapman, who's hit and miss (I mean, honestly, Space Jam?), but seems to have a real eye for good looking granite here.

Oh yes. Yes. YES.

I love that Julianne Moore gets fourth billing for five minutes of work, which includes a lot of hair bobbing up and down.

Hey, a little respect, okay?

I only wish they'd have thrown the same bone to Jane Lynch, who provides the evidence, thank you very much, that Kimble uses to prove his innocence. She gets listed somewhere at the bottom in the long line of credits. Fair? Hardly.

It's okay. I didn't like the earrings anyway.

But, most of all, I love these guys, the Click and Clack of Chicago. Dese guys, wid dere Chicago accents is da best parda da movie. When dey say tings like "You all know in what high regard we hold dis scumbag" it makes me wanna go out for a slice or a dog in da Loop.

See yous later den

2 comments:

Wuh said...

I have a long record of falling asleep during movies. It doesn't matter if the movie is a fun, action packed adventure, I can be wide awake one second and snoozing deeply the next.
I've seen The Fugitive THREE times, but never all at once and never the ending. Maybe I can borrow your copy LH, and zip directly to the last ten minutes, thus shoving this monkey off my back I've been carrying all these years. Fat pants indeed.

li'l hateful said...

No problem, we'll, uh, git some a dem perogies and watch it sometime.

Actually, the ending is probably the weakest part of the entire movie, with the exception of the tie fight.