Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What The... whatever

Platelet Count: 19

Dude.

No, I have no idea why. I haven't even had spotty marks or bruising or nose bleeds or any of the stuff that came with it the last time they were that low. It doesn't add up. I feel fine. I look okay. My hair is shiny and my nails are growing (as mom says), so it doesn't make sense.

Am I screwed? Well, not yet.

See, if this latest hormone therapy doesn't work I've got to switch to chemo. Now, I don't know what you know about chemotherapy, and I may have mentioned this before, but it drops your platelet count into the cellar. Since I'm already in the cellar, this is a problem, but it's not a problem yet.

In 2 weeks they'll draw some more blood. In 3 weeks I get another MRI --- same as the last one including the foot tape, apparently --- and another PET scan (aka: the No Coffee Or Food scan). In 4 weeks I go back to Vegas for sales training. In 5 weeks I meet up with the doctor to discuss what is or isn't working. He said he would call me before the sales trip if there was anything troubling on the scan. I told him not to call because I was going to Vegas and don't want to know before then. Anyway, if the hormone thing isn't working, I'll know then and THEN I get the bone marrow biopsy. I know, he keeps promising and not following through, but maybe this time...

The good news is I went through another round of Zometa yesterday and I feel fine today. The cousin/roommate, however, is sick.

No comments: