Sunday, September 05, 2010

Big Girl Pants

Yeah, sorry, haven't posted anything on here in a long time, but last week was a gaggle of busy. We watched some movies, but I think I slept through a couple of them and the phone rang through a few of them, and we were out at Costco or buying booze the rest of the time, so not a lot of free moments.

Knowing full well that my co-workers read this, I'm going to out myself and spill some beans; take it out of the closet and wear it on the street; put it out on the stoop and see if the cat licks it up.

I'm moving into outside sales. I'll have my own team of sales people and we'll be chasing the local dollar. (Co-workers, I will explain details later.)(I will.)(Patience is a virtue.) What does this really mean? It means I spent an hour absorbing information from my "What Not to Wear" book and went out to buy clothes yesterday, real, adult, grown-up lady clothes from Macy's. I now have nice pair of trousers --- NICE trousers, not those crazy red and gray plaid type that I usually get, but suit trousers, but not too suity because I still need to be comfortable. By the way, ladies, JC Penney is a good place to shop for the suit shirt. Macy's had them, but can someone please explain why or how the pirate blouse frilly-front look is in style? For normal color and lapel size go to JC Penney. Trousers there, on the other hand, lean toward the polyester blend ... and ... uh ... hhhuhhhhh ... sorry, had a shudder moment. You know, pants that will spark if they rub together too much are just no good. They had those or Dockers ... cahhhhh no, just don't do it. Spend the extra and go to Macy's.

This also means I go back to Vegas in October to learn how to be a saleslady powerhouse. I'm excited about this job and I want to do well, but, friends, anything called "Boot Camp" gives me the fear. Do I have to run through tires while pitching clients on paper prices? Am I going to cry like Seegar on the wall in An Officer and a Gentleman? I just hope I get a better movie room theme at Planet Hollywood this time, you know, like Hope Floats or Bad Boys II.

Where does all this fit in with stage 4 cancer? Gosh, I really don't know.

A couple of weeks ago my leg popped back into the hip socket and now I can sleep at night without taking an Oxycodone (which, by the way, leaves me all woolen headed and sullen; I don't know how those people on Intervention pop them every day) and I have more energy now than I've had since the diagnosis. I mean, I know it's there, lingering, doing it's cancer thing, but I can't honestly tell my boss that I won't take this new job because of the cancer if cancer isn't stopping me.

But, okay, I know, every time it's high it goes low again. You don't have to remind me, but right now it's high and I'm riding it for as long as possible. So I have 4 dress shirts, a new skirt and some business trousers ready for a go. Now I need some decent shoes and no more than 5 pieces of flair.

It's a good thing.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Karen
You crack me up! And I loved you Vegas post
too. Congrats on the new job!
Love, Chile