Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sleep, little butterfly. Sleep

"What if I am dreaming right now? This conversation I am having with you seems real in every way, but so did my dream. I thought I was Chuang Tzu who had a dream of being a butterfly. What if I am a butterfly who, at this very moment, is dreaming of being Chuang Tzu?"

Man, lately I've just been beat. The sun is finally out (and all the windows are open - how nice is that?) so I don't have SAD anymore, but I still feel a need to sleep all the time. I only get a few hours a night, but, in a weird way, I think I'm getting used to the hot flashes. It used to be I'd wake up on fire, throw off the covers (irritate the pet), and let the heat run the course until the chill came on and I'd tuck up again. But lately I wake up when the chill comes on, meaning I've slept through the hot flash completely. It's a victory in a way, I suppose, and the pet seems to think it's a positive change.

On the non-medical non-film front, the World Cup has sucked up most of my awake attention and has made me useless for anything else. Spain won --- not that I hate Portugal, but I've never liked Ronaldo, so without Figo I don't really care about watching them anymore. Spain, take Europe all the way! I don't want an all South American final. Bo-ring. I am proud of the U.S. getting where they did. We played a passable game, but would have eventually be kicked to he curb by Brazil had we continued on. I'm kind of glad Ghana did it instead. Like Japan, they're the little team that could and it was okay that the little team kicked us down. We would have done the same in their position.

The brother is currently in Argentina to Uruguay to Brazil and thinks he'll be safe from World Cup madness since he leaves before the final. But, he's there when Argentina play Germany, Uruaguay takes on Ghana and Brazil goes up against the Netherlands in the quarterfinals, so something somewhere will be turned over and set on fire. I hope he takes pictures.

Now that the child next-door has stopped screaming show tunes and the swearing Frisbee golfers have moved on, I'm going to sleep. Yes, it's 8:15, but my head is bobbing down on this keypad already. By the way, a word about Frisbee golfers: those guys are out there with the first sun. I woke up this morning at 5:20 to the ring of discs hitting the "hole." This, friends, is Eugene. Land that I love.

nitey-nite

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Aw, sleepy kitten. We're pretty beat hear, but because we had a large party for the 4th. Nessa, Freya, occasionally John, and I have been lounging about watching stuff we recorded from tv.