Monday, May 31, 2010

It's raining. Again.

One day Spring will come and then it will be Summer.

Long weekend with ups and downs. Friday's doctor visit was not hopeful --- platelets down to 30 and I'm still on steroids, which means something isn't working right. If they go down again on next Thursday's check I'm looking at options like the old splenectomy idea or, if we go way back in time to when this started, the bone marrow biopsy.

Hi! Remember me?

Trick is, now that I've got cancer on my hip, where are they going to jab that thing? Well, there's always the sternum. That's means watching it and feeling it. Oh boy!

That's this month. In July, when I'm normally gambling or having, say, a birthday or something, I'll be getting scanned to see if the hormone treatment is killing the cancer and if it is and if my blood decides it wants to clot again, I'll be scheduled for surgery. If my blood doesn't want to clot, well, I don't know. It's more of I don't know-ing and waiting and hoping that there's no sudden "whoops" moment where it all goes horribly wrong.

So, yeah, that's the bad news, or the wait and bad news, or the we still don't know a g.d. thing news.

On the good side, here's a link to a story that was hopeful: 17 Years Later, Stage 4 Survivor is Savoring a Life Well Lived. My good friend Wuh put me onto it (no, really, I didn't know about it until last night). It's made me put aside my gloom for a little.

Oh, but not for long. I almost forgot because I had blocked it out of my head. The REALLY bad news is that Germany won Eurovision with this song:



It's catchy and her little German accent is cute, but "I bought new underwear for you" --- Seriously????

Slovakia didn't even get into the finals. Neither did my folksy pals from Finland and Slovenia. (Neither did Latvia ... I know, huh? I thought for sure they'd make it.)

1 comment:

Erin said...

Karen
I am thinking about you and praying that
your platelets go up and that you get stronger
and feel better. Wish I could send some sun your way too.
Love, Erin