Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fanfare for the Common Man

Friends, not a lot of movie watching has been going on this week. We watched Moon a few nights ago, but it was on the Bluray, which means no screen captures (the computer won't run it) and I said back in July that it's good and if you don't know that by now I'm sorry for you and this means all of you in the Academy Awards voting corral. I pity your taste in film, you bastards. I mean, honestly, The Blind Side??. Why even watch the Oscars this year?

Which reminds me, last night Titanic was on Turner ... I still don't get it. Better than L.A. Confidential how exactly?

We've been watching a fair amount of the Olympics. NBC's coverage is irritating and most of what I want to see is on at midnight, but last night they showed the bobsled, which I like a lot, and, patience won out past the foofy ice skating and I finally got to see Italy take gold in the slalom. Slovenia was close, so the cousin/roommate also had a stake in it, but that Razzoli was amazing down the slope -- e un peccato per voi, Slovenia. And Alberto Tomba cried and the NBC talkers said it was because it was an emotional moment and I say it's because he's Italian, but it was cute either way.

But we also take in a lot of what they show on CNBC because 1) they show the whole event and 2) the commentators are sort of sweet and homey. Sure, most of what they're showing is Czech Republic playing Norway in hockey, but I started to really enjoy their coverage of curling and the "Oh, well, that would be the shot to make" way they announced it.

Mostly I liked watching the Canadians destroy everyone.

Mostly I liked watching the Canadians.

Mostly I liked watching this Canadian:

John Morris: curler, pin-up boy

And when they won, I cried like Tomba.

No comments: