Friday, December 18, 2009

Li'l Holidays

While I sit here at work listening to my cubicle neighbor play Christmas Classics by the World War II Russian POW Choir, I'm reminded again of what a special and wonderful time of year this is for all God's righteous children.

A time of year when there is only one day when you can give or get a gift. A day or two early or late and the holiday is ruined until next year. Plan accordingly. Spend well. And, remember, loose lips sink gift ships.

A time of year when I don't ever get tired of hearing the words "you people" or "cheap Chinese crap." It's especially nice when the phrases are thrown together: "You people sold me cheap Chinese crap and it won't even get here in time for Christmas!"

A time of year when people think that an office supply company not only does gift wrap, but will wrap a hand sanitizer dispenser for their fiancee to open on that magical Christmas morn'. (Whoops, we had to tell you it would a few days late and he heard the voicemail message? And now you're refusing delivery because there's no surprise? "You people" ruin another holiday.)

A time of year when I drink too much, eat too much and sleep way the hell too much, but will wake in bliss deep into the Winter of our Discontent.

Happy Holidays, my children ... all are welcome ... all are welcome ...

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love this post. I am in a deep, chemo haze heightened by the big steroid shot and mega dose of benadryl they had to give me for a reaction to one of the chemo drugs, so I can't articulate why I love this post so much. Just so Karen, so true and funny.

Hilary said...

The holidays: This is the time when I fall down a hole and roll into a fetal ball.