Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Why I went to Journalism school

Today's Eurosport headline:
Ferrari could dump Raikkonen
+
this picture:

+
this lead:
Team president Kimi Raikkonen has said that Kimi Raikkonen is not assured of racing for Ferrari next season

= editor's day off.

Yeah, no, he's not the president. I was worried about the headline until I got to the page and read the story. No fact checking? No facts to check.

He's on the podium in that shot, by the way, so it doesn't really fit -- Ferrari will drop a winning driver? There aren't pictures of him not giving a %^#@ out there? You bet there are. If I can Google one, Eurosport can. But, more than that, coupled with the headline, it implies an emotion that I just don't think he's going to have if "dumped" by his team, especially since he's been publicly shopping other careers for the past year and a half. What I suspect the photo is actually capturing is (a) a need for sleep; (b) a hangover; (c) a hot day at Spa after just getting out of a 110-degree race car; or (d) all of the above.

No comments: