Saturday, September 05, 2009

A Movie Every Night: Dracula

Dracula (1970)
Director: Jesus Franco (you heard me)
Starring: Christopher Lee, Klaus Kinski, Herbert Lom, Fred Williams, Maria Rohm

One of the many shots detailing the inside of someone's nose

That was excruciating.

I've seen Ed Wood pictures with more going for them than this. I've seen educational films about wheat harvests with more going for them than this. Klaus Kinski, who might have saved it with his craziness, only gets to croak out one word: "Varna." That's it. The rest of the time he's wandering around staring and shaking his hair out of his eyes, and while he's doing it there's a camera man capturing it all. I know, because I saw him.

Shadow of the vampire? Nope, it's the shadow of the hand-held camera guy. Should we shoot it again? Jesus Franco, why should we?

No comments: