Sunday, July 19, 2009

Antique's Roadshow?

Pop has boxes of old photos that came out of my grandmother's trailer. He was going to throw them away, but I told him to wait until I got down here so I could go through them all. My eyes are red from the dust and now I can't sleep because among the snappy photos of my grandfather (who was quite a looker -- so was gramma) are the following treasures:

- two tickets to the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics: one for fencing and one for gymnastics
- a program from the games with notes made by grandma on who won what and how
- a whole series of programs from these Catholic conferences they had every year at the Ambassador Hotel, which I was kind of skipping over, to be honest, because who cares, right? The last one, from 1934, has signatures on the front of someone named Mary something with a C, Sid Grauman (Grauman's Chinese Theatre, have ya heard of it?) and Joan Crawford.

Yeah. YEAH. Joan "Mommy Dearest" Johnny Guitar Crawford!

I almost threw up I was so excited. I knew she mixed and matched with Hollywood folk, but this is before grandma was even working in pictures. She was only 17 (gramma not Joan).

Gramma why didn't you tell me? Why why why why didn't you fill my head with stories while you were alive?

I'm getting all of the boxes shipped to me and the scanner will be working over time. I will be creating a new blog with all of this stuff and pictures pictures pictures.

Forget gambling. I've already won.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god!

How utterly fantastic! I'm glad your dad didn't toss everything thoughtlessly and then mention having done so ten years down the road. The horror....
When can I see?
(<:

Wuh said...

Oops- the above was from me.

li'l hateful said...

The treasure is coming home in my suitcase (along with some sweet clip on earrings). Three HUGE boxes of other photos will follow by UPS. Man, can you imagine that in the trash - IN THE TRASH ... the mind boggles

Kelly said...

I can't wait for the new blog--I smell a book contract!