Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Essay Time

School is stupid. I hate it. The end.

Women & Minorities in the Media -- Apart from learning that I'm racist because I'm white, this is so far all familiar territory, which makes it a see-saw class: one moment comforting and familiar, and the next boring and a little tedious. But, just so you know -- You. You're white. You're a racist. So was Richard Burton and the Crocodile Hunter, who were also, by virtue of being men, sexist. Mind it.

Philosophy of Film -- That professor is a super hard-ass. He makes us watch movies and talk about them! Fecking' A. Who the hell does he think he is?

Newspaper Editing -- Fine until we had a math quiz. But I think I'd like a job as the grammar tsarina at the local daily. This may be my niche.

Reporting II -- If I start to talk about it I'll cry. I have no time to do the work because everything we're reporting on takes place during the day (except the football game, which starts at 7 pm and we have a story due by midnight). I want to drop it, but, honestly, I'm going to have to do it sometime, so it may as well be now. But, fahhhhhhh, I'd like to pay my rent this term and I don't think skipping work to cover a civil case is going to help me with that.

Sum up: My GPA is probably going to drop like a hot rock because all focus will go into Reporting II. I even considered dropping the movie class, but I need it for the film certificate and it's the only bright spot in the entire schedule. Okay, I don't get philosophy and mentioning Kant in a sentence to me means only a little more than mentioning Spinoza, but it's good to watch movies with an eye toward a larger meaning. I just have to let go of studying narrative over style ... the struggle ... the struggle...

2 comments:

Mr. Bascomb said...

I want to watch movies and talk about them...I've read some Kant, and some Spinoza. The only college class I ever got an A+ in was called Film as Communication and Art...I'm here for you, man!

li'l hateful said...

This week's movie (one of them) was "Brazil" -- sample comment: "Dude, like, what was with the last 30 minutes? I didn't EVEN get it. It was totally stupid." I barked back a defense, and was later labeled a Loser (thumb + finger = L) by dude's sorority pal.

Although someone else raised the great point about utilitarianism ("It looked like the greater good did okay under the bureaucracy") and that made it all better.