Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fear & Loathing (and why I still need t'ai chi)

So I jumped the gun a little with the last blog. We'd only just signed off on an application for the new house and hadn't actually been approved to rent it yet. I checked my credit online and it looked good, so I didn't think there would be a problem ... but then we didn't have a call from the landlady. All day. Then, at noon, the real estate guy calls and leaves a message on my cell phone telling me how the duplex was sold to some guy who not only hadn't seen our side, but he was also buying it as a rental and not a live-al, and won't that be great, and he wants to meet us on Friday.

Shite. Shite. Now what? Do I call real estate guy back and break the news? What if I do and new landlady calls to say that for whatever reason we couldn't move in -- yes, I know it's totally irrational. But what if? That's just the kind of thing that would happen now, isn't it?

We have new phones at home so I hadn't set up the remote message-checking yet, and we'd taken bikes to work, so there wasn't time to speed home at lunch. Why didn't she call the cell phone? DEAR GOD, WHAT DO I DO?

But, yeah, we got the house last night and we're signing over the money this afternoon. In a nutty twist, I have to borrow from the cousin/roommate for this one (I used a credit card to move into our last house), but we'll be able to move on the 20th.

I'm trying to work up nostalgia for this place, but after listening to drunks roll up the street last night for the millionth time, I'm just not feelin' it. It'll be nice to sleep at night rather than wonder who's breaking into the garage at 3 am.

Side note: Over the past few weeks I've become obsessed with House, M.D. (Parallel lives indeed, Mrs. Haske. Prison Break ... House ... why is Fox turning into a channel for quality programming? That can't be right.) I'm trying to catch up on season 4 before next week and had to jump discs from season 1 -- suddenly Cameron has blonde hair. Crazy. I didn't even recognize her -- thought she'd left the show.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, except Prison Break has gotten progressively worse each season and it's really sucking it up so far this season, AND Michael has gotten noticeably chunky, so I don't even get the eye candy aspect of it. But now I'm in too deep to stop.