Wednesday, August 13, 2008

JIAYOU!

I like the Olympics, but it irritates me that you never get to see events like archery, which isn't sexy like beach volleyball. Or shooting. They never, ever show shooting. Maybe if the shooters wore underwear like the beach volleyball players they'd get on television, but since the shooters are usually from Muslim countries, that probably won't fly. And I haven't seen any equestrian events. Maybe they're not taking place yet or maybe it's because NBC is so in love with Michael Phelps that anything not featuring him is clearly a lesser sport and undeserving of coverage.

Go ahead, call me a communist, but I'm tired of hearing about Michael Phelps. We don't see the other medal ceremonies, why do we have to keep focusing in on his pinched lips and earnest tears every flippin' time he takes the podium? I agree that what he's doing is historical (if he can beat Spitz, which he hasn't yet, but probably will), but stopping men's gymnastics to "get into the head of Michael Phelps" ... dude ... e-feckin'-nuf.

By the way, hilarious that the American men's gymnastics team was hopping and whooping (JIAYOU!) about getting the bronze and the Japanese looked like they'd been pushed down a well on hearing they took silver. Let's face it, the Chinese were rating 16's on things that we'd get 15's on, but it's their country n' stuff, and they were pretty impressive on the floor exercises and the rings, so let them have it. But we should have hit perfect on that last pommel horse (oh yeah ... the pommel horse ... ... yeah ... I loves the pommel horse). That guy was on fire. But whatever. Bronze for the alternates is pretty impressive. Japan, silver is good. Get it? Goooooooooood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, comrade. I happen to enjoy watching Mr. Phelps do his thing. And what red blooded American male doesn't enjoy chicks in bikinis running and jumping on the sand? What I don't get though is why NBC keeps showing synchronized diving in prime time.

Just relax, the Phelps and volleyball fixation will all be over soon and we'll get all track all the time instead.

And if you have a jones for equestrian it's being shown on the Oxygen Channel. You've probably never heard of the Oxygen Channel either, but I'm told that it exists and that's where you'll find the jumping ponies and no Michael Phelps.

li'l hateful said...

As a matter of fact, I was just watching the O channel so I could see Venus play in the tennis quarterfinals -- and lose. To China.

You know, maybe if I was an American male, your explanation would mean something, but I'm not so ... so much for that, man.

But, just to be clear, I'm not knockin' Phelps as an athlete, I just think NBC needs to give him a little private time and spare us a repeat of "Yeah, you know, I just get out there, and, you know, it feels good, and, it was really special to get this chance and" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Anonymous said...

Fair enough... It would be nice if they showed some more fencing. I was watching these two ladies in clean room suits last Sunday try and poke each other with like a car attenna or something and I was hooked!