Sunday, May 11, 2008

I'm my own ayn rand

As part of listening to "On the Media" for Reporting class, I sat through an amusing (although not really media-related) discussion of Ayn Rand and her philosophy. She's one of those authors who people get really worked up about. Tolkein is another one. Their fans are completely obsessed, and if you question it or think it's weird that they dress like hobbits (complete with large hairy feet), well, you're the freak. I only just learned (through Human Physiology class of all things) that the "all who wander are not lost" bumper stickers around here were not Grateful Dead-related but tied into some bit of poetry from Lord of the Rings.

I was falling into the Lord of the Rings obsession while I was in junior high. Friends, I was completely sucked in. I even have a board game based on the Ralph Bakshi animated movie (maybe I'll eBay it ... I'm sure the pieces will be in immaculate condition). I found solace in that whole fantasy world where no one called me "scum" or laughed at the fact that my Dittos weren't saddle-stitch or sailor-bib. If it wasn't for discovering boys I'd probably still be there.

And when I say "discovering boys" I mean specifically the Three Muskateers. Friends, if you have not read past the first book or if you skipped ahead to The Man in the Iron Mask, you're missing out. d'Artagnan is so bitter -- if you ever feel like you're not respected in your job and you want to quit, read Twenty Years After. Talk about bad jobs. You know, you save the royal family time and time again and they still can't remember your flippin' name.

Maybe I'm still a little obsessed with d'Artagnan.

I can't understand how I missed out on Rand.

The other outcome of listening to that radio show was the questioning of why the hell the cousin/roommate and I bother feeding the cat or mowing the lawn. The lawn can mow itself and the cat, well, if she can't open her own Friskies can it's not my business.

No comments: