Saturday, February 23, 2008

What fucker said that?

I'm really irritated with this whole school thing. You know, some classes are useful, but some I just have to be in because requirements tell me I have to be there, so the idealistic vision of actually learning new things in class is really a reality. All of the classes where I could learn stuff, I've already taken, and all that's left are the classes where I've got to fill time -- including the Journalism shite, which I've totally lost interest in. This is not training to be Lois Lane, it's training to be J.J. Hunsaker, and I guess I kind of knew that going in, having worked in Marketing before and knowing that it lies somewhere between whoring and being a lobbyist, but when condition you to accept that as positive business practice ... jaysis, it's no wonder Fox News is popular. Nothing will change as long as universities are churning out bright-eyed hookers who suck up to current media thinking that "turning it up a notch" is actually a good thing to do. That's how we get things like Temptation Island and The O'Reilly Factor.

So I thought I would be an English major instead and I'm seriously tempted to cross over to the rebellion against the evil empire, especially considering that I'm on the slow track to graduating late anyway, but my heart's just not in it anymore. What do I want to be when I grow up? Non lo so.

To tie into the Withnail & I quote above, I heard a kid talking LOUDLY on his cell phone about what he was learning in his Religion of Islam class. It was explained as : "So there's that Mohammed or whatever guy, and, like, basically it's like Muslim is the same as, like, Christianity. Dude, seriously. It's the same thing, just said by different guys." That Mohammed guy ... was he important and stuff? Whatever, yeah. I hope he can remember it for the final.

Is a degree really worth the paper it's printed on? I guess I'm not one to talk. Although I got a 66 on the second Economics midterm, so I'm actually improving in some small way. I heard others say proudly that they scored a 43 (Yeah! Dude!), 47 and 48. Hooray for the curve.

No comments: