Sunday, October 21, 2007

Yeahbut and Costello

Today I was late to work. It's my own fault. I was goofin' on the moxibustion and lost track of time and then there was some crazy accident that busted a power pole and kept me from stopping at Dutch Brothers on the way, so I had to stop at the Shell Station (which worked out because I had a hankerin' for Pringles after watching them get made on "How It's Made" last night) and while I was spilling their non-dairy creamer I overheard this conversation:

"... and I told him that I was trying to go to classes, but I also had to work, and then I've been sick and I made an appointment to go to the doctor, but I had these things and I don't know what they are, but I couldn't focus on classes and I didn't get to work and now he says he's going to fire me!"

Response:
"You don't just disappear for 3 days without telling anyone. You could find a phone."

Right back:
"But I won't have my cell back until next week and I knew I was in trouble already, so I didn't call."

When I was a kid, every time we started up on this kind of story, my pop would chop it at word #2. "I want to hear reasons, not excuses!" He used to mock it when we would start it with "Yeah, but--" "Yeahbut and Costello. Yeahbut and Costello. I don't want to hear any Yeahbutt and Costello."

I walked into work late, punched in late, stayed late to make up for it, and went on with my life.

Thank you, dad.

No comments: