Wednesday, August 15, 2007

It was fair

Another summer, another county fair, another chance to ride on the fabulous Zipper. Last year I said I would ride it ... ... and I meant it! ... But then ... because we wanted to wait out the line for the Zipper, we went on the Tornado first.

dude.

I blame the cousin/roommate for spinning the effer around too fast ... although, sure, you're supposed to do that, I know I know ... but I was so sick. We even went on the giant ferris wheel to settle it out, but no way. The only fear I had for the Zipper was throwing up in the cage and having it flung back at me as we spun around again. Forget that.

So next year for the Zipper -- this time before the corn dog.

Textiles and baked goods were amusing and diverting again. Good to see the prizes were shared among about 3 juniors this time, rather than on that one Ashley person (her sister Stacy took some and a prolific baker named Rebekah took quite a few).

The Jest in Time clowns were a little spooky-weird and we missed the pig racing, but all-in-all not a bad way to spend an afternoon. We didn't stay for the vocal stylings of REO Speedwagon, and I was hoping that we'd catch a few strains of "Take It on the Run", but we can't actually hear anything at our house. It's weird. We're across the street from the fair, but the sound goes east and we're just to the west of the back side of the stage. Even the traffic is louder. Bummer, but not really, since tonight is The Charlie Daniels Band and I really didn't need to hear "Devil Went Down to Georgia." Chicken in the bread pan pickin' out dough...

Note to Steven: Saturday, August 18th is the Slavic Festival 1:00 - 2:00 on the East Garden Stage (wherever that is) AND the Emerald City Roller Girls teach the do's and don't's of roller derby from 8:30 pm to closing.

"Gotta be there" indeed!

No comments: