Thursday, February 15, 2007

Daoism InAction

Today I got a C on my magazine cover project in that class. This set-back is, in short, devastating.

Unlike Creative Writing where I figured out what the instructor wanted and then gave it to him, I have no effing idea what these people expect. They picked the topic (Formula 1 Racing) and then graded me down because they didn't understand the visuals I used. Why didn't I label Kimi Raikkonen's picture so people would know who he is? Why were the "d" and "p" looped together on the words "Grand Prix"? (They formed a track.) People who would read this imaginary magazine know who Kimi is. You, graduate student, are not my audience. You are not my target (as outlined specifically in my proposal and in the cover essay with the project -- twice I've explained that the magazine is for people already interested in racing). The answer: "But I might look at this in Borders and pick it up." Yeah, but you wouldn't buy it unless you were interested in Formula 1, which you clearly are not, and those interested in Formula 1 would know who the hell Kimi Raikkonen was. I might pick up a copy of Guns and Ammo ... doesn't mean I'd buy it.

Also, my cover line for the article on Danica Patrick was "Why this 'domestic appliance' is qualified to race in Formula 1." I was told that "domestic appliance" was pejorative. I said, I know. That was the point. The quote is from the President of Formula 1 and the article proves him wrong. She said that didn't come across on the cover. What?!? The sentence ends with "is qualified to race in Formula 1." Get it? She is qualified and is not a domestic appliance.

Summation: I'm doomed. Why am I working on a project that was chosen by someone else to be graded by them when they don't understand the topic of the project? What the f@%$#k is that? Why didn't she let me do the magazine on classic film?

So, I figure it's some kind of past-life retribution that I can't change. This is payment for some kind of serious injustice I pulled last time around and I've just got to roll with it. I just need to pass the class, not ace it. Who needs the Dean's List anyway?

Bring it in ... let it out again. Focus on the Dao...........

No comments: